New Mexico Prevails Against Horse Slaughter
“It’s official. The controversial horse slaughterhouse in New Mexico will not be opening,” says KRQE (watch the story here). The attorney for Valley Meat, which has sought for years to open a cruel, dangerous horse slaughterhouse in Roswell, submitted a letter to the New Mexico Environment Department on July 31 withdrawing their application for a wastewater discharge permit, which the company needed to begin operations.
Can you help us celebrate this wonderful news with a special gift to help horses?
Our Equine Protection Fund has helped over 560 horses, donkeys, and mules through feed assistance, emergency vet care, gelding, and so much more. When people said horses couldn’t be cared for, we proved them wrong. Please give now to celebrate this victory and provide relief to horses in need. Thanks to a challenge grant from a generous donor, your gift will be doubled!
To everyone who signed our petition against horse slaughter, made phone calls, wrote, donated, and otherwise worked to protect horses from the scourge of slaughter: THANK YOU! Animal Protection of New Mexico has worked for years alongside many dedicated individuals, organizations, and policymakers to prevent this heinous plant from opening in Roswell and we sincerely thank EVERYONE who has helped. Special gratitude for meaningful action goes to:
- Attorney General Gary King (he sued to prevent the opening of a horse slaughter plant in New Mexico)
- Senators Tom Udall and Martin Heinrich (both are cosponsors of the SAFE Act to end the export of American horses for slaughter and have voted to defund horse slaughter)
- Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham and Congressman Ben Ray Luján (both are cosponsors of the SAFE Act, both have also taken other actions to help horses)
- State Lands Commissioner Ray Powell, Jr (one of the first public officials vocally opposed to horse slaughter in New Mexico)
- Front Range Equine Rescue (leader in equine owner assistance programs and leader in legal battles to stop horse slaughter)
The federal bill to stop the export of all American horses for slaughter would forever end the horror of horse slaughter. Make a quick call to your U.S. Senators and U.S. Representative in support of the SAFE Act now!
Horses deserve more responsibility from humans, that’s why we created the Equine Protection Fund (Reminder: Please give now to directly help horses, donkeys, and mules!) and why we will continue to press for the humane treatment of horses all across New Mexico. With your support, we can move mountains.
Thank you for caring about horses and all animals!
Know a horse who needs help? Visit the Equine Protection Fund www.HelpOurHorses.org
Op-ed from the NM Equine Rescue Alliance: Slaughter No Long-Term Solution to Horse Issue
Join the APNM mailing list and get the latest updates delivered straight to your inbox.
Tweets by @APNM